Monday, December 17, 2012

International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions, IAAPA. Part I

For some time I was working on planning a trip for Greg to Orlando, Florida. On this trip Greg was to attend the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions, IAAPA, Conference. At this conference you get to see the latest and greatest in arcade gaming, casino gambling, amusements rides and attractions and food! It is a week long conference where there is workshops on anything and everything that could pertain to the amusement industry. Plus there is the showroom floor of all the attractions where vendors try to attract buyers to sign contracts on the spot. As you can imagine I wanted to go!

One day Greg looks over from his desk to mine and said, "Did you make your travel arrangements yet?" I looked at him with shock and said no. Soon after I started to make my arrangements and could not wait to go to Orlando!

The trip was set up as a team building exercise for the entire Hawaiian Falls staff, the operating side of Harvest Family Entertainment. This was the first time I was to meet the rest of the staff, remember Greg and I are based here in Phoenix and the company we consult for is based in Dallas.

Greg, my self and the rest of the executive team arrive one night earlier. Let's just say that arriving early was a lifesaver for the rest of the team. When we arrived to the hotel we were surprised to find it below subpar. The "hotel" resembled something we college students would stay in during spring break in Mexico! When we went to pick up the CEO at the airport we did not know how he would take our feed back. The first thing he asked when he entered the van was "How is the hotel?" Greg, Steve (VP of Construction), and myself bursted into laughter. Dave, CEO, could not believe that the conditions were that bad. To his surprise the conditions were awful.

Soon after realizing that the rest of the staff could not stay there he made Greg and I find an alternative place to stay for the rest of the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment